Tuesday 13 August 2013

Charlie Dimmock

Chaat rings Dimmock HQ to find out about her taste in curry

So then, curries. Do they play a
significant role in your life?

“Of course! My dad used to be at sea and a
lot of the crew were Bangladeshi. He’d come
home with big bags of spices which he’d
keep under the stairs. He’d grind them all
up when he was making a curry for friends. I
really wanted to stay up but my parents said I
couldn’t stay up until I could eat curry. I forced
myself to eat it even though they were far too
hot! Now I absolutely love them.”

So your dad was taught by the masters!

“Very much so! He’s had a lot of work done on
the house now but up until recently you’d still
get that waft of curry whenever you opened
the cupboard under the stairs!”

What’s your favourite?

“I do love a spicy one, but there’s this one dish
our local restaurant does where the lamb is
marinated for 24 hours and it’s gorgeous!
Curry is such a huge area; I love green Thai
curries, I love dhansaks, I enjoy the occasional
korma and I love all my side dishes. That’s what
dad taught me from a very early age. We’d
have chick peas with spinach and Bombay
potatoes and of course yoghurt, which is
essential with any curry!”

You can read the full interview in issue 1 of Chaat! Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment